Monday, August 3, 2009

Reason #26 - Taking my Mom on Rollercoasters

This past weekend my mom and I flew to LA for a very special baptism. Since we were already going to be in the area, Mom thought it might be fun to go to Magic Mountain. Little did I know that she was truly being her most altruistic self in suggesting this, and maybe she was hoping I would actually turn her down. This is why the altruistic approach is not always the best approach. Because good intentions then have to include a follow-through. Mom did make one strategic move, and that was to avoid the flash-pass which might have meant many more rollercoasters.

When we got to the park early Saturday afternoon, our first rollercoaster was "Revolution", followed by the "Collosus". Both of these were around the last time Mom went (which was a LONG time ago), and she felt fairly certain she'd be able to master these two rides without a problem. They were also good starters for me, because I wasn't sure how much I still loved a good rollercoaster. There did happen to be one more rollercoaster I was sure Mom could handle. It was the "Goliath". As is clear from the picture below, it was pretty tall. You can't quite see the top. In fact, I don't think the top of the picture comes close to showing how high Goliath really was. It might be the best place to get a view of the valley.

After all the coercing, the pleading, the begging I could muster up, I could finally see the little gleam in the eye that comes when you know deep down you can't turn down a good challenge. Mom was in. We made our way through the line, and finally climbed into our seats. I'm not going to lie, I was feeling a bit nervous myself, especially since there was only one little lapbar to hold me in, and the ride was apparently crazy enough that we had to lock up our purses. But one of my favorite quotes of the entire weekend, was halfway through the ride when Mom said, "Ray! This is stinking fun!!!!!!! But I'm still not opening my eyes!"

We had to follow up our little adventure with a stop off at the oxygen bar, where I was treated to citrus-ginger flavored oxygen and a nice little massage. Mom decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to try flavored oxygen, since we'd never done it before. Definitely an experience.
I have to say, being taken to Magic Mountain is a pretty good way to celebrate turning 31. Who says I have to grow up?? Thanks Mom!



Mom and I at the Oxygen Bar. Aren't we cute?


Goliath. Seriously, it was tall. I'm so proud of my mother!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

One of the reasons I love being 54: I can go on the roller coaster if I want to, or just watch and wave. I'm glad I went. Thanks, Ray.

Taylor Family said...

I blacked out on Goliath. Twice. Yes, I was dumb enough to go on it a second time. I'm glad you had fun there... 6 flags is my favorite theme park!