Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ode to Fourth Ward Primary

I have to admit I was excited for a new calling in Florida as we planned to leave Utah. Although I adored the kids, we had a primary of about 5 or 6 regular attendees (yes we really were living in Utah), and it was a tricky thing to try and plan for such a transient group. But Brad and I had fun with the kids, and I actually enjoyed putting together the primary program.
Our primary program was the very last Sunday we were in Utah. We had a practice on Saturday morning, packed the moving truck and took everything to my parents that afternoon, then had the program on Sunday and left for Florida Monday morning. I had more than a few moments when I wondered what we were thinking planning things so close together. But as stressful as it was to put together a program with about 8 kids, and then throw about 20 more into the mix the day before, the Lord filled the weekend with peace and blessings. And the biggest blessing was feeling the payoff of the last 9 months of working with our sweet primary kids.
When I was first called into the primary, my biggest stress was figuring out how to teach little kids to sing Praise to the Man. I mean seriously, how are you supposed to teach kids about "traitors and tyrants"? But I will never forget what it felt like to hear Carson and Michael singing out those words, and how amazing it was to hear them sing out the songs Brad and I had taught them. I still tear up a bit when I hear kids sing that song. And all the kids did such a beautiful job with all of their parts.
Brad and I fell in love with our sweet primary kids, especially 3 year old Carson. At the end of sacrament meeting after the program was over, Carson ran up and handed me a package his parents had put together for Brad and I. I burst into tears as I finally accepted that I was saying goodbye to the kids, and to our life in Utah.
We still quote Carson on a daily basis, and miss all of our friends in Utah. But we are grateful for the new opportunities the Lord has given us and the new challenges we've been given here in Florida.

Carson as "Dash" on Halloween

No comments: