Sunday, September 6, 2015

Decide what you want to be... and be it!


Hey Buddy,

You are five weeks(ish) away from joining our family, and I decided it was time that I shared some thoughts with you. (Sorry about the name situation ... I promise we're not naming you Buddy, but since we can't decide on an official name, it will have to do for now.)

To me, our home is a sanctuary. It's the one place I can feel safe, happy, and comfortable, no matter what goes on outside our doors. And I love the process of creating this special haven, especially for our family. So, when we found out you would be joining us, naturally I wanted to create a space for your first "sanctuary" in this crazy world.

I did not want to cover your room in bright red and yellow Mickeys. After all, you will be getting PLENTY of Disney in your life. And while I love so many things about Disney, I think there is a limit on how much of that love need be on display. However, we came across some sketches at the park one day that sparked an idea, and I wanted to share it with you, because it's really the foundation of what I hope to teach you throughout your life.


These sketches were raw and unfinished, and they brought to mind an image of Walt Disney, sitting at his desk, carving out the idea of Mortimer (soon to be Mickey) Mouse. He was just a guy who had some ideas, and once they took form, he pursued them with unstoppable tenacity. And now, almost 50 years after his death, his legacy continues on.

When you look around your little sanctuary, I want you to be reminded every day about the choice you have to be the greatest little Buddy God knows you can be. That every door is open to you right now. The world is ahead of you to discover, if you have the courage to "decide what you want to be, pay the price, and be what you want to be" (J.A. Widtsoe) just like Walt did. But you have to be willing to sacrifice and never let the world tell you what you can and can't accomplish, not just in your "future", but as you start to create your place in this great big human family.




The greatest lesson I've learned in my life is the power of making choices. Sometimes I am going to want to make choices for you, because I am your mom and I want you to be happy. But God gave us agency so we can each learn happiness for ourselves, and I promise to teach you about that agency, and always do my best to honor your choices, even when I don't agree.

Remember that you get to choose the man you want to become every day of your life. And no matter what happened yesterday, today is a new day to follow your dreams.

I love you, my son. I can't wait to meet you and see all of the beautiful adventures God has in store for you.

xo,

Mom

(Just a few more pictures of the rest of your sanctuary)




2 comments:

Myrna said...

You have a beautiful way with words. I've looked at all of this blog from your traveling to the new home in Florida to the few weeks left for Dexter or Buddy or whatever you name him, to arrive. You are so excited, as you should be, waiting for this glorious event to happen. May the Lord bless you all.

Sweet Utah said...

Thank you Myrna!!