Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Awffles

After we were officially engaged, Brad moved down from Idaho to my parents house, so our commute dropped from 3 hours to 15 minutes when we wanted to see each other (which was all day every day). I think my parents were actually a little disappointed they didn't see more of him, but I loved the fact that they were able to get to know him better over the remaining months of our engagement.
One morning after spending the night at my parents house (funny to be the one "sleeping over" at my own parents house) Brad and I decided to make waffles. This was not the first time I have made waffles, and I like to think I'm a pretty decent cook. But we used a mix, and my parents waffle iron that might be older than they are, and the combo was, well... awful!
The first few came out doughy, and the last one came out crispy on the outside, but all around just disgusting. From that day on, we started lovingly referring to waffles as "awffles". We've since worked on our waffle recipe, and I think we've definitely improved.
We've also made moistloaf (a surprisingly tasty, though soupy version of meatloaf), and though we haven't named all of our "interesting" creations, we've had a few other special meals across the span of the last year.
Despite the occasional awffle-style disasters, Brad and I have managed to cook some pretty delicious meals as well. And I've discovered that I actually really love to cook. The unfortunate side of this love is that I also love to bake, and that generally does not mean "healthy". But I have found there is something about spending an hour or two in the kitchen creating that brings me joy. And really, just like cooking, life is about creating, experimenting, taking chances, and sometimes even just sticking to what you know works.
I love being a wife, and I'm excited (one day) to be a mother. And I know that along the way I will occasionally make a "moistloaf" or some "awffles" in my attempts to do right by those I love most. Fortunately, just like in cooking, I can learn from my mistakes and do better next time.

Our Sunday morning Awffles

No comments: