Monday, March 16, 2009

Reason #15 - Snowboarding



Okay I can't say I LOVE snowboarding yet... but I can almost officially consider myself a snowboarder. I went two days in a row last weekend, sure that I was finally getting it down. I'm now dealing with pure stubborn determination. I will not let this sport beat me. I find myself a bit intimidated by the feeling of going 100 miles an hour straight down a mountain(let's face it, I probably go about 5 miles an hour at best)...and in one winter I have damaged my wrists, my thumb, my head, my knee, my neck, and let's not forget my poor tailbone. Nonetheless, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Last Friday I managed to get 90% of the way down the mountain without falling, not to mention I had officially ridden almost every lift at Brighton. So I decided I needed to get in one more good day on Saturday to solidify my mad snowboarding skills.

Saturday was pretty good most of the day. It was beautiful. Sunny, but a little cold, and the snow was pretty nice up at the Canyons. I got in a few good runs in the morning, and by the afternoon Josh took me up to the big lift and we got in 3 runs before the end of the day. I was pretty beat by the second one, but I was so close to making it all the way without falling, so I decided one more run couldn't hurt anything. Whoops. I at least need to learn when to say when. I did great in all my weak spots and was cruising down the bottom of the mountain, when all of a sudden I apparently thought it would be a good idea to attempt a backwards somersault while going 2o mph (this time it really felt like 20... it might have been 10). To be fair, I was at least smart enough not to try this ridiculous feat on purpose... I just wasn't quick enough to realize I was a bit out of control and slow myself down. Or maybe I was trying to slow down... who knows when you all of a sudden find multiple parts of your body making contact with the ground multiple times. You tend to lose track of the particulars.

Either way, the doctor said I was fine. I was smart enough... or I guess lucky enough to spread out the impact, so instead of a broken neck I have a slightly sore neck and a big ugly bruise on my tailbone.

I know this may sound like a good reason to stop. But this is how I see it... if I didn't do any major damage with that fall, I'm sure with a board that's a little more my size and a quality helmet, I'm good to go.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I am so glad you made it out of that alive! You are so brave and tough. I will never try that sport. I mean never. I got no skills when it comes to that sort of thing.

Nancy said...

I can just imagine your little squeal as you go racing down the mountain. Love you tons Ray!

Jer and Cam said...

You are so funny! I can't believe your wipe-out. Amazing that you lived to tell the tale! Well, there's no doubt where Breanna gets her toughness. She's been out on the trampoline with her cousins all day and 2 of them have come in crying because they bonked heads with Bree. No tears from her though. She just keeps jumping. Did you know that higher is always better?

Sleepless In St. George said...

I have been looking for someone to teach my boys....when I saw your snowboarding post I thought...great Rach is the one....then I read your post! Maybe not!