Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Land that I Love


 I think I am not a crazy big fan of a lot of things. I don't have a favorite sports team. I don't love a particular band. I definitely lean more to one side than the other of politics, but I like to think I'm pretty open-minded. But I can say that I LOVE the United States of America, and I love celebrating the 4th of July. I still tear up when I hear the Star Spangled Banner and say the Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't matter how much we struggle as humanity to get life right. We still live in a country that's pretty great. I haven't personally lived outside of our country. But I've known those who do (or have) and most would say we have it pretty great. In fact, I learned that there are people from another country that get cancer treatments at my office, because they literally won't survive if they just wait for their name to come up on a list.

I grew up in a place that knew how to celebrate the 4th of July. In fact, I have gone back to Utah most summers to celebrate with my family. I love all the booths at the Centerville park, the concert and firework show, the beautiful (and sometimes super hot) Utah weather, the parade (and children's parade), the fun run, and the family time mixed in. Utah in the summer is magical to me. It's nice and cool in the evenings and mornings, and hot but dry in the daytime. I usually see good friends along with all my family. I love it. 



When we first moved to Florida I was a little bummed that people don't celebrate like they do in Utah. I still don't really understand. I know it's hot. But in Florida, we know how to handle the heat! But it seems like most celebrating happens indoors, with fireworks at night. Luckily, Winter Garden knows how to celebrate! We went to the children's parade several years ago, so we decided to do that again this year. My favorite quote was when Devin said, "It's really hot, Mom. It sounded fun to go to the children's parade." That morning Brad was sick, I just learned there was a huge fire on the mountain in Centerville, the boys were cranky from being up too late, and my health is not what I thought it would be," so part of me was thinking, Happy Birthday America! What a day this is shaping up to be! But, I wanted to make the most of it, and all those feelings melted away as I listened to someone sing our national anthem and I said the Pledge of Allegiance. I was so touched by so many who came out to celebrate and all chose to walk in the Children's Parade together. Yes, it was hot. But, it was magical to celebrate. 

Later that day we had a little pool time, made homemade ice cream, and joined some friends for an epic home firework show. The boys even got to do some sparklers. I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure sparklers are more stressful to me than any other firework, and I'm not sure who decided it was smart to give kids flaming metal rods to play with, but my kids definitely loved them, so you know, we'll probably let them have some next year too.




























I'm grateful we celebrated. I'm grateful my kids see that celebrating our freedoms in important. I love the quote, "Home of the free because of the brave". I'm so grateful for all those who have made those freedoms possible, some from my own family. I want my kids to recognize freedom is important, and we choose it every day. We will never be perfect, but we can keep working on being a little better every day.















1 comment:

Lisa PG-13 said...

Your Canadian friend wholeheartedly agrees with you! July the 4th is MAGICAL. America does national pride like Blake Lively does the MET Gala--just shows up and crushes it. And, YES, a hyped-up group of toddlers cut loose with sparklers is the stuff of mom nightmares. But still! What a party! U-S-A! U-S-A! ;-)