Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Can't Waiting...

I listened to a girl once talk about how we often are "can't waiting" for life to happen. And that if we spend all our time "can't waiting" for the future, we will never truly enjoy the present. While I whole-heartedly agree with her, I don't think even Christmas Eve as a five year old beats how how much I "can't waited" for my wedding day. Between the stress of wedding planning and the excitement of spending my waking and sleeping moments with my love, I felt like four months would never go by fast enough.

Planning a wedding was definitely stressful, but I loved it. There were many days I found myself so surprised by the fact that it was really my turn, my wedding, and it felt so normal and natural to be planning it.

Brad was a great support, both at giving an opinion when desired, and getting out of the way when he knew I had made up my mind. And we would never have gotten through it all without our own personal wedding planner/older sister. Trish flew down in April to help get things started since she knew she'd be busy having a baby once it got closer to the wedding. I had no idea where to begin and she just picked up the phone and started calling reception centers, flower shops, cake decorators... you name it, she had called them all and set up appointments within the week she was there.

Jean took full responsibility for the reception in Georgia, which was a wonderful blessing because I did okay planning one wedding, but I couldn't do two.

My mom did a wonderful job of stepping in where she was needed, and stepping back when she disagreed with our plans (because let's face it... mother and daughter don't always agree on what a wedding should look like). She was very, okay mostly accepting of my decision to be a dark-haired bride, and she helped make sure the wording was perfect on our invitations. She also spent HOURS pouring over websites with me looking for the perfect bridesmaid dresses, and helped talk me into trusting my gut and getting "my perfect dress", even though I was too tired to try it on again, and nervous about alterations.

Brad and I continued our long distance relationship for a month after the official engagement, and then he moved down to Centerville to be close while we planned out the wedding. We spent every waking moment together that we weren't working, and it was such a blessing to be able to have that time together before the wedding so we could get to know each other day to day, and not just on the weekends.

Time felt like it dragged on for those four months, but we had some great times, and now that I look back it seems this past year has flown right by us. It's been fun to go back and put photos together, watch videos, and relive so many precious moments of the past year. And I realize that my friend really was right about "can't waiting". After marriage, the wedding has happened, the anticipation is over, and a new journey begins. I love the new journey, and I'm grateful to be on it. But I'm also glad I didn't "can't wait" so hard I missed out on the excitement of anticipation. It made the next step that much sweeter.







2 comments:

Nancy said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted. I hope Florida is treating you well. I am sad we couldn't see you at G & G Randall's this year, but that's just the way it is. I couldn't see my favorite brother either. Oh well, just know I love you and I'm so happy for you!

Sweet Utah said...

I was glad to know someone was actually still reading!:) I promise I will get up to date and keep posting! And we need to actually chat soon. I really miss you!