Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Reason #22 - Mowing the Lawn

When I started mowing the lawn, I was small enough that it took the full weight of my body to get the mower turned around when I got to the edge of the yard. Those were the days when I was young enough to think mowing the lawn was a good time. At that age, anything Dad did seemed like it might be fun, even eating brussel sprouts. (Okay, I still eat brussel sprouts). Those darn parents are kind of tricky. Kind of like when my mom made a game out of putting the silverware away and that was SUPER FUN. Those games really only work for so long. But anyway, I'm getting off track...

So about two weeks ago, I was pretty sure there was a lion hiding in my grass. I didn't actually hear any roaring, but my lawn was probably about as tall as a typical African savanna. Downright embarrassing. Little by little I have tried to take on some yard work, but it's been hard to find the time. And mowing was the one thing I left up to my neighbors, since it is technically their job, and the only lawnmower here belongs to them. My neighbor's wife finally stepped up and got the job done, but it was still time to face facts... my house looks like the rental on the block.

Last Saturday I decided it was time to give my yard a little extra TLC. So, I borrowed the weed-whacker from my dad, and went to town early Saturday morning. I can't say my yard has the straightest or most beautiful edging job on the block, but at least now it looks like someone cares. And after all my work that day, I decided I was going to suck it up and mow the lawn too. And it turns out... I really enjoyed the whole experience.

I can't decide if this new love for yard work means I just love being outside now regardless of the activity, or that people who spend all their time gardening and working in the yard aren't really crazy. It's possible there is something great about making something beautiful. Or maybe... at 30... I'm just plain getting old. But regardless, I'm glad that once upon a time my dad led me to believe yard work was fun, because here I am 20 years later putting all my mad lawn mowing skills to work.

No comments: