Saturday, October 25, 2008

Reason #4 - Fun Work Trips











A few times a year I have the opportunity to go to a Walk 4 Hearing through my work (a walk set up on a weekend morning that supports the hard of hearing community) at various locations in the country. Last year and this year there was a walk held in Washington DC that we participated in as sponsors. This year I decided to take advantage of a free plane ticket and come out a few days early to hang out with my friends in the area. It's been a great week, although I've managed to spend all the money I saved on a free plane ticket at H&M, among other various locations. However, I console myself with the reminder that I did in fact, get a free plane ticket, so at least I didn't spend all of my money on clothing AND a plane ticket.

The week started with sleeping until 2pm EST on Tuesday, after which it was time for some serious shopping. I decided to pick up some make up at the MAC counter while I was out, and ended up spending an hour getting my make up done. You gotta love having time to burn with which there is no reason to say no to a free makeover. When do I take time to do things like that while I'm at home?

Through the rest of the week I took it pretty easy. I managed to visit one or two museums or landmarks each day, and made sure I slept in as late as I felt like it as well. I also indulged myself in things like a Tastee Freeze with fries for dinner, and a night of acknowledging the unbelievable enjoyment DVR can bring to my TV experience.

I have now been to DC 3 times. This time around I went with my friend Winn and her mom to Monticello (the home of Thomas Jefferson), and then followed it up the next day with a visit to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home). Although Monticello was definitely a fascinating place, Mount Vernon absolutely tops my list of things I've seen in DC. I have slowly been making my way through David McCullough's 1776, and my respect and love for George Washington continues to grow the more I learn of the incredible man he was. I have always respected him, but I truly admire his humility, his honor, his honesty, and his willingness to lead a righteous cause, even when it took him away from those things he loved most.

I felt like I was walking on sacred ground as I stepped onto the land of Mount Vernon, and although it's been over two centuries since Washington personally cared for his home, his influence over the grounds can still be felt. I found it interesting as well to see the difference between Jefferson's home which was very much influenced by his experience in France, and Washington's home which is a manor that could have been plucked right off the English countryside and deposited in colonial America. I know that our history is so infantile compared to the European continent, but it is rich with the influence of good men who recognized the power of history and have passed that on to those of us who are still willing to listen and learn.

4 comments:

David said...

It's about time on the DVR ray. but you really need to take the next step, hulu.

Jer and Cam said...

I can't believe you were just in D.C. I LOVE Mt. Vernon and Monticello. We were there when Breanna was 2 and I will never forget how she pitched a major fit right there in Jefferson's library in the middle of the tour. I had to drag her out kicking and screaming as all the other white-haired tourists raised their eyebrows to us. Could they really blame her for wanting to thumb through some of those books?? So we toured the grounds instead which suited her much better! But I love that place. I too love the history of it all.
And Jer is reading 1776 right now too! He says he's learing a ton.

Isn't H&M the best??? That's one of the things I miss about living in NY!! I wish they had some in AZ!

triciarnorton said...

I am a us history hater, as you know, (a euro snob), but in dc you can't help but be in awe...ps one handed typing due to holding baby who refuses to stay asleep when I put her down

Alicia said...

I felt the same way at Mount Vernon. Isn't it cool? I'm so glad you had a good experience. You look great and it sounds really fun!