Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Time to Every Purpose

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate;
A time of war, and a time of peace
--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

At a time when I was a little discouraged and unsure of my path, I had a very dear friend tell me that for someone who believed in God I seemed to have very little faith. He did not share any of my beliefs, and somehow that made his frank observation hit home. The reality was, it was time for a new path, but I had been afraid of veering off my current path because it was what I had known. So I stepped to the edge of the cliff and jumped, knowing that God would send me in the right direction. And 5 years later, I still know as clearly now as I did then that God absolutely came through in the most amazing ways.

Recently I have been thinking about my current path, and whether I'm again walking a path based on the fact that it's comfortable and safe. There is security in having an income that provides for all my needs and many wants. But could there be a new plan that will give me greater joy? Is that scary? Yes. Could it be painful? Definitely. But there is a time for every purpose. Life is full of changes. And I'm grateful that I can turn to the Lord to help me know when it's time for change, and that He will see me through, no matter the challenge.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow, what are you planning?
Bradyn just took a job at the church office in the missionary dept. We would like to move up that way when we are able. Maybe we could see you more often.