Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reason #19 - Southern Utah, and being an indenpendent woman


Looking out of Partition Arch in Arches National Park


Double O Arch at Arches National Park


Me, Betty (aka Erika) and Eiko who did all the setting up by ourselves. Stephen was in our car too, but he wasn't allowed to help us set up the tent trailer. We did allow him to help us take it down... just to be nice.


I know that in my 17th reason I love being 30 I mentioned that boys can come in handy for things. This is still true. However, my girlfriends and I took my dad's truck and tent trailer down to Moab this weekend. And we hitched, unhitched, backed up, drove, and set up the tent trailer all by ourselves. I was a little nervous about this little adventure because I knew that my dad was going to be nervous, but he was an incredibly good sport, and trusted me to give it a shot. It was nice to feel independent enough to do all of those things without a male around to take the responsibility. Sometimes it's just nice to know you can do it on your own!

And along with feeling like an independent woman this weekend, I finally got to experience Moab for the first time. I had no idea what I had been missing all of these years. As we passed people speaking all different languages on the hike up Devil's Garden in the Arches I couldn't help but think about the fact that people were there from all over the world, and in comparison, all of this amazing landscape is in my backyard, and I haven't bothered to take advantage of it. So... there will be many more adventures to come this summer (hopefully with the tent trailer, but let's face it... and independent woman can probably handle roughing it in a tent with an air mattress as well).

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I vote for the trailer. Tents and air mattresses just don't cut it for me.

triciarnorton said...

It is good that Derek and I already put a small dent in the truck with the trailer. Made it less pressure for you :)