Saturday, January 17, 2009

Reason #11 - Maybe I'm really getting settled



I have been quite transient when it comes to my work and living arrangements from 18 to 30, and there are a few things I've been hesitant to invest in. One is a couch, and the other is a piano. When I moved into my most recent apartment, I was convinced by an over eager boyfriend to buy a big expensive couch. (Well, expensive by Ikea's standards). I think the couch is now my constant reminder that I don't want to continue my transient lifestyle... since it will take at least 5 very kind, strong men just to get the silly thing back out of my apartment. I've also been convinced by my boss that I have it pretty good where I'm at, so I figure I might as well stay at one job at least long enough to finish school, and who knows, maybe even vest in my 401k...

So, now that I've accepted that it's time to settle down just a bit and I'm stuck with a great job and a good couch, why not go all the way, right? While my brother Dave was in town over Christmas, I decided it was time to buy a keyboard. A piano won't quite fit in my apartment, but I've been thinking about my need to enjoy my ability to play the piano before I lose it. So... I am the proud owner of a brand new Yamaha keyboard, and even though it was a bit painful to throw down the cash for it, I have been wondering every day why I didn't do it sooner. It makes me laugh a little at myself when I think about all the ways I justify spending money, and then how often I hold out the longest for the most important things.

I know that for some people settling in would include buying a house, or at least a dog. For me... a couch and a keyboard makes for a decent start...

3 comments:

David said...

A couch and keyboard is a start and an end as far as I'm concerned. I'm what else do you need. Except maybe a guitar. :)

Jer and Cam said...

I agree! That keyboard was long overdue! I don't play even a fraction as well as you do, but I LOVE our piano and even though it was expensive, I have only regretted not buying it sooner! So happy for you!!!

Alicia said...

I just needed to see you and so I clicked on your blog and of course, you said the perfect thing. I am so happy you got a keyboard! I want one too and so you need to tell me your keyboard purchasing advice/tips. Well done! You deserve a keyboard. Have fun!!